Discord may be evil

Apr 8, 2018
I mean Discord the game chat platform, not MLP.
It's the platform that combines voice chat with Slack?
This is my view of Discord from a software engineer standpoint, I am a DevOps and ML engineer.

Back in the day, in order for me to chat with friends in game, I either had to use Skype or Teamspeak.
I used to worry about Microsoft eavesdropping on our conversation so we didn't use Skype that much, I used my own Teamspeak server.

Now this new social platform called Discord popped up in the past few years, it targets gamers, yay so cool, gamers, woo hoo!
But that's another word for targeting "gullible people", gamers will do any stupid 💩 to get off.
For example, they download malware infested pirated game that requires "administrator access" for no reason. I made botnets this way when I was in middle school which infected 27k clients in overnight so I know how stupid "gamers" can be.

This Discord is very centralized, it requires a server to forward voice communication, maybe it uses WebRTC for peer to peer communication, but to achieve seamless voice streaming, it must have central server fallback, meaning the central server listens to everything you say.
So gamers basically gave up their privacy to get off for "fun", again.

What can they do with all this data? They could record you and develop machine learning model for targeted advertising, or for psychological conversion (making you gay or some 💩).

Oh by the way, Discord is funded by Time Warner. Isn't that a red flag?

Apr 8, 2018
I know it's so easy to sign up and chat with friends and be in the community of some YouTuber.
But I just don't trust centralized applications that gathers voice and text data about me.

People usually say things without consideration in game, so their inner thoughts are leaked to some data center of big corporations for analytics, this is scary.

ngalex

2Savage4Me
Oct 26, 2018
Yeah right you dumb growner I'll trade my search history for a good game anytime.

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
Yeah right you dumb growner I'll trade my search history for a good game anytime.
Don't know if you're joking or not but this is serious, ChefBigDog knows what he's talking about, you will be in deep water without you even knowing it if you leak your privacy.

Apr 16, 2018
f🅰️k off, what I am supposed to use then?
With that kind of ultra-tight privacy attitude, this site isn't even safe, this site extremely centralized.

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
Alright jokes aside, I want to test whether if Discord is always listening.

Don't know if this can be done
  1. Create hundreds of accounts with different IPs, each Discord App runs inside of its own virtual machine, with spoofed CPU and chipset metas. GPS spoofing, carrier spoofing. Create seemingly different "person".
  2. TTS generate controversial conversation or stuff advertisers would love to hear (I want to switch auto insurance, a new brand of dog food)
  3. See how many of them are banned or tracked by advertisers