Was Terry A Davis right? (TempleOS)

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
Terry A Davis, the guy that made TempleOS http://www.templeos.org/

He made a ring 0 JIT(just in time) compilation operating system.
He said it's a hobbyist OS, that his vision was futuristic and he's
The smartest programmer that ever lived
Let's put the memes and his death aside, was his vision right?
Is ring 0 da way? Is JIT da way? ...

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
I think for a system to even utilize 64 bit, you'll need a lot of applications running, in such case, you'll need strong isolation of applications.
Ring 0? Come on dudeeeeee.

Apr 8, 2018
He doesn't use Git so he's a savage amateur.

Only used limited x86 instruction sets like it's the 90s
I tried to build an OS when I was 13, successfully booted and displayed the bitmapped keyboard input, then I realized I could only utilize a small section of the x86 instruction set, it would take FOREVER to learn them all, so the OS would be slow by default.
Never mind I thought.

TAD's system would be the same, using legacy x86 instruction sets like it's a RISC or ASIC, be like "it's fast because I wrote it", no b🚺tch, once levels upon levels of abstraction builds up (that's how modern apps are made), it will be garbage, and it will be missing common libraries and drivers to do jack 💩.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018
Deviation
Notice TAD used dithering to simulate colors in 3D.

Just try to write OpenGL and various graphics libraries on your own without hardware manufacturers's support, yeah, in your dreams. If an OS with GUI doesn't have these, it wouldn't even be relevant, what are you gonna do, bitmap everything? That's what TAD did. Cringe.

He could just made a kernel and sent graphics render instructions over the network to a linux machine as a human interface, but he had to deviate to do GUI.

I suspect he built the apps too early, changes to kernel would cripple his apps so he compromised a lot.

Last edited:
N

nnb

C++:
// more pointers
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int numbers[5];

for (int n = 0; n < 10; n++)
        numbers[n] = 100;
    return 0;
}
On Windows:

On TempleOS:

Apr 1, 2018
Everywhere on the internet people are feeling bad for TAD, but you guys are just spitting on his grave.
He's like the Chinese Wan Hu that tried to go to the moon with a rocket chair, just pay some respects in his work will ya?

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
Everywhere on the internet people are feeling bad for TAD, but you guys are just spitting on his grave.

Fun story actually
This guy in the video is trying to hard to act sad and 💩 for TAD's loss, trying to do shopify drop shipping on TAD's death, I commented on his vid:
not keeping anything? I ain't giving you a dime unless you show us the bank statements
and the comment got a lot of upvotes ranked No.1, just check again, this guy deleted my comment and raised $315.35.

There are some people that genuinely felt sad, and there're people sad because other people felt sad and he is supposed to "be sad", and there are people that milk them.
There are no real emotions on the internet. Everyone is just going to jerk each other off saying they're "sad for TAD" and continue with his day.

In reality nobody truly gives a 💩 about TAD otherwise he wouldn't have lived in his car homeless, he would've had at least 2k concurrent viewers and get hot $20 donatoins.

C

Champ

There are some people that genuinely felt sad, and there're people sad because other people felt sad and he is supposed to "be sad", and there are people that milk them.
There are no real emotions on the internet. Everyone is just going to jerk each other off saying they're "sad for TAD" and continue with his day.
I don't feel sad for Terry frankly, it really cringes me out when people say they're sad and upvote.
I'm like b🚺tch WTF? Quit being so fake on the internet, you don't even know that guy oh now you're sad to show everyone you're a good person, f🅰️k off and close the tab. You're good words don't mean anything, stop being a fake.

When I first got hooked on internet in 1998, everyone was toxic, because of anonymity, it's a digital magic land with no constraints..
Over the years the internet has gotten pussified, people in real life are the same, but the internet has been cleansed bit by bit.
It's ridiculous that people are lying through their keyboards.

ngalex

2Savage4Me
Oct 26, 2018
When I first got hooked on internet in 1998
f🅰️k you boomer ni🅱️🅱️er get off my f🅰️king board
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I do agree with some points though, users really "seem" to be less toxic.
But the good people saying kind words about Terry A Davis on the internet though, they didn't all seem to act good because they're good in nature.
Trust me the toxic comments on social media are filtered and down ranked.

I don't believe people are that good, it's a facade of kindness, it's misinformation filtered by social media, used to further groom the user base into a more exploitable state. When people are only exposed to kind soft words feeling emotional, they will become gullible cucks, and they will be exploited.

C

Champ

Ok, went back to check this thread today.
What did you call me ngalex? A boomer ni🅱️🅱️er?

This is a toxic site. f🅰️king edgy kids.

I don't believe people are that good, it's a facade of kindness, it's misinformation filtered by social media, used to further groom the user base into a more exploitable state. When people are only exposed to kind soft words feeling emotional, they will become gullible cucks, and they will be exploited.
I know you are more alert than other boards I guess this is a thing on this site, but why do you have to be so toxic?
Maybe if you're nicer people would actually come to this site.

Morte

Crib owner
Mar 31, 2018
I take back everything I said about Terry A Davis, I looked more into his code and found the way he designs an operating system is truly amazing.

The Temple OS doesn't handle common resources like Linux, the Linux Kernel handles network, storage, swap... and presents them as an interface to the applications, it doesn't handle execution of the applications, the execution is done natively, handled directly by the applications, that's why developers have to compile for x86, x86_64 or ARM platform, the kernel creates hierarchy of processes using access privileges, multiple rings.

Temple OS provides a scriptable runtime using JIT, that's all it does, it doesn't even have network interfaces, application has equal rights so they can interface with each other. That's so simple and brilliant. It's like having nodejs without the APIs, but several orders of magnitude faster.
All the apps TAD developed are pretty 💩, but the platform he built, the OS is so stripped down and simple, that's really what a computer should be.

Terry A Davis worked on assembly language before mass OS adoption, before everyone took OS for granted and built upon it, he made something simple and elegant from the ground up, much different from the OS concepts we can accept.

1548923561902.png

and it will be missing common libraries and drivers to do jack 💩
That's exactly the point TAD was trying to make, applications should handle that, not the OS, the OS should only provide a intermediate runtime, not a API endpoint to everything you ever need, that's why Terry A Davis thought Unix is ni🅱️🅱️erlicious

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018
That's exactly the point TAD was trying to make, applications should handle that, not the OS, the OS should only provide a intermediate runtime, not a API endpoint to everything you ever need, that's why Terry A Davis thought Unix is ni🅱️🅱️erlicious
Jesus, don't tell me to bit bang the PCIE lane. The architectural design of TempleOS is good for learning and hobbyist testing, yay I drew a triangle mommy look! But developers that make MONEY just want every interface handled by the system and be done with it.